1.6 - July 2012
- [FEATURE] Signed release for 10.8 Mountain Lion.
1.5.1 - Unreleased
- [BUG] Recognize exFAT volumes.
1.5 - July 2011
- [FEATURE] Support OS X 10.7.
1.4.1 - Unreleased
- [BUG] Only open USB control of the PowerMate when that option is
1.4 - October 2010
- [FEATURE] Snow Leopard compatible Universal Binary (ppc,
- [FEATURE] Includes MenuCracker 2.x for Snow Leopard and
for better long-term compatibility with other menubar
- [FEATURE] Hide more inactive statistics on inactive
- [FEATURE] Simplified Intel CPU naming ("Intel" not 80486).
- [FEATURE] Support for IPv6 addresses in the network menu, based
on patches from Smith Kennedy.
- [CHANGE] Major code cleanup, fixing a number of obscure bugs and
probably introducing some more.
- [CHANGE] Changes to various menubar displays and text for
readability and general cleanup. Removed various tweaky options
(like disabling antialiasing) that haven't been relevant since
very early OS X and aren't worth the maintenance cost.
- [CHANGE] Remove CPU menu option for 'nice' color, hasn't worked
since Apple API changed.
- [CHANGE] Removed CPU menu thermal register statistic, hasn't
worked since G3.
- [CHANGE] Reordered memory pie chart to place wired at the start
of the graph.
- [CHANGE] Use base-10 disk space calculations on Snow Leopard
(use hidden pref DiskSpaceForceBaseTwo to override).
- [BUG] Fixed NSNumberFormatter overflow for memory
- [BUG] Fix preference reset when opening preference pane on
Leopard and later.
- [BUG] Fix support for the PowerMate regardless of driver
- [BUG] Fix Connect and Disconnect commands for VPN and other
complex interfaces controlled by the PPP subsystem.
- [BUG] Show disk space for mounted NTFS volumes.
- [BUG] Fix slow disk unmount/eject on Tiger.
- [BUG] CPU percent user/system split display includes nice'd
process. This matches current implementations of 'top'.
- [BUG] Fixed NSNumberFormatter overflow for memory
- [BUG] Fix network throughput on 10.6 with some new machine
- [LOCALE] Simplified Chinese localization, thanks to Tintin.
1.3 - January 2006
- [FEATURE] Universal binary for PowerPC and Intel.
- [FEATURE] Swap file usage and encryption status on 10.4
(Tiger). Based on patches from Michael Nordmeyer
- [FEATURE] Update load average calculation to better
match 'top', patch by Michael Nordmeyer
- [FEATURE] Disk activity indicator with large color
arrows on boot disk icon. Based on patches from macrulez
- [BUG] Fix problem caused by Cisco VPN where the primary
interface (the VPN connection) can't be found in the
- [BUG] Fix disk meter problem for volumes with UTF8
characters in the name (iPods are a common
1.2.2 - May 2005
- [BUG] Rebuild with gcc 3.3 for compatibility with 10.2.
1.2.1 - May 2005
- [BUG] Fixes for menubar displays on machines themed with
ShapeShifter and similar tools.
- [BUG] Fix custom swapfile path detection on 10.4.
- [BUG] Fix live menu content updating on 10.4.
- [LOCALE] Dutch localization recreated, thanks to Martijn
1.2 - November 2004
- [FEATURE] Net meter now supports "orientation" preference to
determine if transmit or receive is on top of display.
- [FEATURE] New net meter graph style "Inverse Opposed" that
reverses the orientation of the "Opposed" mode graph.
- [FEATURE] Net meter menu content now includes peak throughput for
- [FEATURE] Narrow throughput display to 4 digits in all cases.
Patch from Alex Eddy.
- [FEATURE] Option to remove zero traffic baseline from network
graph. Based on code from Alex Eddy.
- [FEATURE] Net meter display uses separate color for inactive
interfaces. Based on code from Da Woon Jung.
- [FEATURE] Disk activity indicator lights using color arrows on top
of the boot disk icon. Based on artwork from Nate Friedman.
- [FEATURE] All history graphs allow a shorter (11 pixel) length.
- [BUG] Due to user confusion, hide Memory pane color controls which
do not apply to current display mode.
- [BUG] Fix RAM calculations on for machines with 4GB of RAM.
- [BUG] Higher contrast "Aqua" disk activity lights. Thanks to Nik
- [BUG] Better detection of G4 7457 processors. Patch from Alex Eddy.
- [BUG] Fix minor drawing issues in CPU, memory and net graphs.
- [BUG] Fix NSColorWell assertions when the active interface list
changed while System Preferences is open but the MenuMeters pane
is not selected.
- [BUG] Fix handling of interface name on VPN (PPTP) interfaces.
- [BUG] Fixed an installer authentication issue.
- [LOCALE] Italian localization added, thanks to Marcello Teodori.
- [LOCALE] Dutch localization removed (no maintainer).
1.1.1 - October 2003
- [BUG] Update to MenuCracker 1.3, fixes problems with home relative
installations on Panther.
- [BUG] Fixed live menu update on Panther.
- [BUG] Fixed peak scaling calculation when user adjusts sample interval
in the pref pane.
- [BUG] Fixed RAM calculations on machines with more than 2GB.
- [BUG] Corrected antialias control enable/disable in pref pane Memory
- [BUG] Fix pixel offset in "opposed" mode received network graph.
1.1 - September 2003
- [FEATURE] Added an installer to the project.
- [FEATURE] Limited compatibility with Mac OS 10.3 Panther (7B49). See the Known Issues section of the ReadMe for known limitations. Please bear in mind that Panther is still prerelease software.
- [FEATURE] Basic PPP control (connect/disconnect) now supported in the net meter for serial PPP and PPPoE interfaces.
- [FEATURE] Disk menu now allows selection from the menu to either open or eject/unmount the volume.
- [FEATURE] CPU meter supports inverted glow/pulse for the Griffin PowerMate (brighter glow/faster pulse as CPU usage drops).
- [FEATURE] Memory meter now has usage history graph for active, inactive and wired.
- [FEATURE] Net meter can now scale via interface speed or peak interface traffic. This offers better scaling for users with high speed interfaces connected to slow external connections (ex. 100Mbit Ethernet port connected to 1.5Kbps xDSL modem).
- [FEATURE] Net meter now offers multiple scaling functions (linear, square root, cube root, logarithmic).
- [BUG] Net meter throughput display width adjusted.
- [BUG] Fixed CPU temperature display enabling on some machines which support temperature readings but were accidentally disabled in the 1.0 release.
- [BUG] Fix processor temperature titling on multiprocessor machines.
- [BUG] Fix update of the Mem meter paging indicator when the menu is down.
- [BUG] Disk meter menu now supports Audio CD (cddafs) and DVD (ufs) filesystems.
- [BUG] Fix control enable/disable bugs in preference pane.
- [BUG] Fix lockup when displaying Mem meter menu content.
- [BUG] Fix display of serial PPP interfaces when the interface was selected as the preferred interface from the Net meter menu.
1.0 - May 2003
- [FEATURE] Mem meter menu now displays information about swap files, including swap files present, peak swap files (max seen since the meter loaded), swap location (supports relocated swap) and total swap space.
- [FEATURE] Added Processor temperature info to the CPU menu where supported. Note that many Mac models made between 2001-2003 do not support processor temperature. Also note that the temperature reported is only accurate to approximately +/- 20 degrees. This is a limitation of the processor, and not a MenuMeters bug. Thanks to Mike Fischer for pointing out more of my math dyslexia in C to F conversion.
- [FEATURE] Net graph can now be rendered in three styles, standard (same as previous releases), centered (graph radiates out from center line), and opposed (graph projects up and down from top and bottom edges of menubar).
- [FEATURE] CPU meter graph and thermometer display now include separate display color for nice'd processes.
- [FEATURE] Net meter now allows copying TCP/IP address to clipboard.
- [FEATURE] Net meter update interval can now be set as low as 0.5 seconds (same as CPU meter.
- [FEATURE] Added bar-style (thermometer) display to the Memory meter. Patches contributed by Bernhard Baehr.
- [FEATURE] Added optional pagein/pageout indicator to the Memory meter. Patches contributed by Bernhard Baehr.
- [FEATURE] Added "Aqua" style disk LEDs to the disk activity meter. Contributed by Matthew Williamson.
- [FEATURE] Modified Memory meter to no longer include inactive pages in its "used" total. This is debatably incorrect as those pages are not "free" in the sense that vm_statistics_data_t means free, but it does better match user expectations who interpret the normal increase in inactive pages as a memory leak. To make the distinction more clear also moved memory usage into its own section of the Memory meter menu away from memory page statistics.
- [BUG] CPU percent user/system split display (small text) now ignores nice'd process load in order to match the method used by Darwin 'top'.
- [BUG] All meters now use NSNumberFormatters to localize number representations. This allows locale-based thousands and decimal separators. Fix based on patches provided by Mike Fischer.
- [BUG] Substantial internal changes to better support localization. Most format strings now exposed for localization. Menubar status labels for the Mem meter used/free display ("U:", "F:") and Net meter throughput display ("Tx:", "Rx:", "/s") are now localizable.
- [BUG] Preference panel UI changed to better follow Apple guidelines and make localization easier.
- [BUG] Preference file migrated from "MenuMeters.plist" to proper app domain "com.ragingmenace.MenuMeters.plist".
- [BUG] Disk menu now uses NSWorkspace to open volumes instead of /usr/bin/open. This results in a slight speed improvement.
- [BUG] Workaround width/clipping issues when rendering non-antialiased text to the menubar status display in the Mem and Net meters.
- [BUG] Dynamically adjust Mem meter used/free display width to prevent clipping when the user has more than 1GB of RAM free.
- [BUG] Improve detection of G4 7455 (Apollo) and G3 750fx (Sahara) processors in the CPU name display in the CPU meter. Some 7455 machines will still be identified as 7450s, this appears to be due to an Apple bug in gestaltNativeCPUtype. Since these same machines return correct Gestalt values in Classic we'll have to wait for Apple to fix it.
- [BUG] Performed tweaks to order and default colors of items in the memory pie graph. Graph now orders as active, wired, inactive, which seems more logical.
- [BUG] Fix CPU thermometer so that 100% load renders without blank space. Also fix so low system loads are not clipped by thermometer frame.
- [BUG] Fix negative throughput totals in Net meter when kernel internal net counters overflow. Caused by negative values from NSNumber's doubleValue method for NSNumbers containing unsigned long and unsigned long long values. See http://cocoa.mamasam.com/Mac OSXDEV/2002/09/1/44232.php
- [BUG] Fix bad system load total on multiprocessor machines using the "Average all processors" option.
- [BUG] Increased bounds checking paranoia.
- [LOCALE] German localization added, thanks to Mike Fischer.
- [LOCALE] Dutch localization added, thanks to Martijn van Exel.
0.7 - February 2003
- [FEATURE] Allow selection of large (menubar clock, 14pt), medium (11pt), or small (split user/system load 9pt) text font sizes for the percentage display in the CPU meter.
- [FEATURE] Added preference to CPU meter to allow multiprocessor machines to use a single display showing average of all processors.
- [FEATURE] Accepted Ben Jansen's patch to place throughput totals in the net meter in GB/MB/KB totals, not just bytes.
- [FEATURE] Added per interface throughput totals to the net meter menu, enabling you to see throughput on more than just the primary interface.
- [FEATURE] Added limited support for live menu updated in the net meter, specifically throughput and interface totals are now updated. The remaining data cannot be live updated both for performance reasons and because the menu might change length (see prior notes in the 0.6 changelog).
- [FEATURE] Added page fault and copy-on-write info to the Memory meter.
- [FEATURE] Added "Open Console" to the CPU menu.
- [FEATURE] Added more drive info (device name, file system type) to the disk menu.
- [BUG] Workaround what looks to be an Apple bug when reading outbound (upload) traffic on PPPoE interface. This appears to have been the cause of folks reporting "doubled" throughput totals. Fixed by using the underlying Ethernet interface directly instead of the pppconfd values. Thanks to Roberto Tremonti for the report and helping debug.
- [BUG] Workaround issue on some machines where the first MenuMeter from the right (first loaded) would fail because [NSBundle bundleForClass:[self class]] returned the SystemUIServer bundle instead of the menu extra. Thanks to Cedric Honegger and Tim Brown for their assistance.
- [BUG] Fix overflow problems for network stats in the net meters. Thanks to Ben Jansen for the report.
- [BUG] Fix unnecessary rewrite of pref file when no data has changed.
- [BUG] Make localization of disk icon set names easier.
- [BUG/WORKAROUND] Document conflict between CPU.menu (from Apple CHUD tools) and MenuCracker. Check the Known Issues section of the ReadMe for details. Thanks to David Wood for his assistance.
- [LOCALE] Japanese localization added, thanks to "(@_@)yooo".
0.6 - February 2003
- [FEATURE] By popular demand, the Net meter now allows you to hide the activity arrows.
- [FEATURE] Menubar status displays now update even when their associated menu is down.
- [FEATURE] Status related menu items for the CPU and Memory meters are now updated even when the menu is down (uptime, for example, keeps ticking). Also lowered the default memory display time to 10 seconds (from 15) to make this "live" update more obvious. Note that leaving the menu down and updating will increase the amount of CPU time used by SystemUIServer. The Net and Disk menus cannot be made to dynamically update because they do not have a fixed number of items. The Mac OS menu manager can't handle dynamically resizing menus while they are displayed (not really their fault, this is a very weird thing to do, and is against Apple's usual guidelines for menu behavior).
- [FEATURE] Added per-interface traffic totals to the Net config menu for interfaces where those values are known. These values are the cumulative totals maintained by the Mac OS X networking layer and cannot be manually reset (though a reboot will reset them).
- [FEATURE] Enabled hiding of labels in the Memory meter status display ("U:", "F:") and the Net meter throughput display ("Tx:", "Rx:"). This narrows the menu slightly for those who need those extra pixels.
- [FEATURE] Added a (very narrow) "thermometer" style CPU graph which can be used alone or in conjunction with the other CPU displays.
- [FEATURE] Got rid of the "Apply", "Revert", etc. buttons in the pref pane. Pane now updates the meters live.
- [FEATURE] Net meter now allows users to set a lower bound of 1K/sec for throughput display.
- [BUG] Corrected totally bogus throughput calculation in the net meter affecting all update intervals except 1 second. Had the math backwards, how embarrassing. Thanks to Henryk Richter for the patch. Unless someone tells me different I'm going to assume this is why some folks believed that the display was in bits per second, not bytes per second (it has always been bytes per second, it was just wrong).
- [BUG] CPU meter now correctly shows load of "nice"-ed processes such as the Seti@Home daemon. More bad math on my part. Thanks to Tom Varga for the report.
- [BUG] Net meter now correctly detects the speed of a serial PPP interface and reports it both in the Net Meter menu config description (when connected) and uses it for the scaling of the Net meter arrows and graph.
- [BUG] For PPP connections worked around an issue where sysctl did not return received bytes for the ppp interface (always reported 0 bytes received). Corrected by talking directly to pppconfd for status information.
- [BUG] Menubar status displays for Net Meter (graph, arrows, and throughput) are now calculated on the basis of throughput on the primary network interface only. This was a deliberate limitation of 0.5, but has now been removed.
- [BUG] Net meter config menu should now catch PPP serial connect/disconnect and update configuration info appropriately.
- [BUG] Resized Net meter throughput to be as small as possible while still being wide enough to hold four digit ("200.1KB/s" for example) strings.
- [BUG] Fixed problems with stale disk names in the Disk meter's volume list. This was most noticeable when mounting/unmounting CDs, all CDs would have the name of the first CD mounted regardless of which CD was in the drive at the time. Bug looks to be caused by NSFileManager problems in SystemUIServer, workaround was to switch to Carbon volume info calls.
- [BUG] Fixed title of the color arrow imageset in the Disk meter to include a space ("Color Arrows" instead of "ColorArrows").
- [LOCALE] French localization added, thanks to Matt Anton.
0.5 - January 2003
- Add an icon, fix a few bugs. Prepare for public release.
0.1 - December 2002
- Release to a few testers. Hope it works.